Natural Flood Management and Smart Flood Management
Waterco Consultants have the experience and skills necessary to provide natural flood risk management.
Flood Risk Management is Changing
The traditional approach to flood risk management, involving engineering solutions such as enlarged culverts and raised defences, is changing. Research suggests that a natural catchment approach to flood management is environmentally, socially and economically beneficial.
Natural Flood Management involves strategic tree planting (to create shelter belts) and the reintroduction of waterway storage to attenuate flows, reduce peak runoff and improve water quality.
The Waterco team has the experience and skills needed when undertaking this approach to water management and offers the following services to support these schemes:
- project initiation
- GIS mapping
- hydraulic modelling – using MIKE 21 and MIKESHE by DHI modelling software to quantify catchment runoff
- ecology and landscape advice – to specify and detail appropriate natural attenuation methods
- stakeholder engagement and consultation
- planning and land agent liaison – to negotiate and agree on works to be undertaken on private land which is remote from potential flooding area
- option appraisal
- funding opportunities
- project delivery and management – developing and implementing complete flood management solutions in partnership with a variety of stakeholders