Waterco specialises in planning, designing, engineering and management services for pipelines, distribution systems and pumping main projects.
Waterco offers a full range of expert design services in this area including:
- system flow diagrams and route selection
- water main diversion
- ground investigation procurement and geotechnical appraisal
- design of anchor blocks and thrust blocks
- pipe components and connection details
- buried pipeline embedment assessment
- above ground pipe support and stress analysis
- piping layouts, hydraulic modelling and surge analysis
- pump selection and procurement
- hazard and operability (HAZOP) studies
- pipeline and pumping main operational reviews
- trunk main strategies
- condition assessment and refurbishment planning
- supervision of testing and commissioning
- strategic repair stock assessment
- surge analysis
Waterco’s pipeline design projects have included thrust bores, river crossings, and trunk main crossing connections.
Waterco design water mains supply design for WIRS providers, Self-Lay Organisations and Licensed Providers in England, Wales and Scotland. Our specialist team has over 40 years of utility-based experience and is fully accredited in the design of water mains for Self-Lay organisations (SLO) under the Water Industry Registration Scheme (WIRS). Our Waterco team of Engineers is experienced in providing fully compliant, cost-effective pipeline designs. We can provide bid designs and detailed designs as well as initial scheme layouts and practical and deliverable schedules enabling clients to price schemes accurately for tender bid purposes.
These are in accordance with:
- Code of Practice for the Self-Laying of Water Mains and Services – England and Wales 3rd Edition and specific water company addenda/guidance.
- Water for Scotland – 4th Edition
- UKWIR advice on brownfield sites and contamination and particular water company addenda and guides as appropriate and include: detailed design, review of ground contamination, selection of most appropriate materials and sizes, production of layout drawings, Designer’s Risk Assessment, Design Record and fire and rescue service consultations
- tender documents, Designer’s Risk Assessment, Risk Register, Design Record and calculations
- geo-environmental assessment
- client approval reviews and third party liaison such as traffic management notices, environmental permits/ consents, archaeological and environmental consultations.
Waterco’s bid design includes:
- initial design in accordance with WRC Self-Laying of Water Mains and services – 3rd Edition, and specific water company addenda/guidance
- initial layout drawing showing potential route, size and material of water main(s) with valves, hydrants, washouts and location of service connections
- pipe and fitting schedule listing principal lengths, sizes, materials, number of valves and hydrants
- estimate to complete the detailed design and obtain design approval from the water company
Waterco’s detailed design for Self-Lay organisations includes:
- design of water main/s in accordance with WRC Self-Laying of Water Mains and Services – 2nd Edition and water company addenda/guidance
- liaison with the Fire Service to agree on the number and location of required fire hydrants
- layout drawing showing route, size and material of water main/s with valves, hydrants and washouts and location of service connections
- flow and pressure calculations
- standard details drawing
- adoption plan
- design risk assessment summary completion and submission of water company application forms
- liaising with water company to obtain design approval.
Water network models are an established tool for assessing system performance and identifying improvements. The primary measures of whether a water service is meeting customer requirements are water quality, water pressure and the number of occasions when the supply is interrupted.
Waterco team members have considerable experience in the use of network modelling, from the original non graphical methods to the current ‘all mains models’ and have been involved in a range of projects where this approach has been adopted for clients including:
- United Utilities (UU)
- DwrCymru Welsh Water (DCWW)
- Severn Trent Water (STW)
- Anglian Water (AW)
The team also has experience in the use of models to achieve various outcomes including:
- detailed zonal studies – all mains
- water main rehabilitation – all mains
- source to tap models – strategic models water quality – all mains
- pressure management – all mains
- water resource balancing – upstream losses
- surge analysis
Waterco has also worked with modelling packages internationally including with Watnet, Wesnet, Ginas5, EPANET, Strumap, SynerGee, Infoworks and Aquis. We ensure that our Design Department is kept fully up-to-date with industry developments and are always on hand to assist during the design and approval process.